Extracts from Study Room for Critical and Expanded Invigilation
By Simon Farid
A collection of research and gestures that examines the everyday conditions of museum guards and proposes routes towards a more expansive understanding of the role.
This collection includes:
• examinations of cultural depictions of museum guards
• research into famous artists who previously worked as guards
• an archive of guard-led art exhibitions
• attempts to contextualise guarding within wider solitary and unproductive labours
• proposals for further study
By positioning the guards’ condition as a site for serious and speculative study the artist hopes to propose potential alternative relationships between exhibited art and those paid to facilitate such exhibition.
Produced with support from the Artsadmin Bursary Scheme 2018-19