Extracts from Study Room for Critical and Expanded Invigilation
By Simon Farid
A collection of research and gestures that examines the everyday conditions of museum guards and proposes routes towards a more expansive understanding of the role.
This collection includes:
• examinations of cultural depictions of museum guards
• research into famous artists who previously worked as guards
• an archive of guard-led art exhibitions
• attempts to contextualise guarding within wider solitary and unproductive labours
• proposals for further study
By positioning the guards’ condition as a site for serious and speculative study the artist hopes to propose potential alternative relationships between exhibited art and those paid to facilitate such exhibition.
Solo-show, K18 Gallery, Maribor, Slovenia. August - September 2019
Produced with support from the Artsadmin Bursary Scheme 2018-19